Home > Practical Information > Renter's Insurance



Do you need to travel for your internship? Estudines allows you to rent housing for short periods that are perfectly suited for work-related travel.
For more information


All Estudines residence halls are eligible for the Aide Personnalisée au Logement (APL) or the Allocation de Logement à Caractère Social (ALS) rent assistance programs. Don't forget to fill out your rent assistance application!

Insuring your apartment against rental risks is mandatory. If this is not done, the landlord has the right to terminate the lease without further obligation.

You must therefore provide proof of insurance before signing your lease, then every year upon request by the landlord. The latter cannot require you to sign up with a particular insurance company. You have the right to choose your own insurer.

Many insurance companies, banks, and student health insurance providers offer very competitive “comprehensive multi-risk renter's insurance” packages that are specially designed for students. These policies cover you against the risk of fire, explosion, water damage, theft, etc. Civil liability protection is also very important.

Special rates are offered to students who often have low incomes.

The price of the policy is therefore an important criteria, but make sure you choose the level of coverage that is best suited for you: the deductible, coverage for moveable assets, exclusion terms, warranty clauses... are all factors to consider.

Insurance premiums vary depending on the:

  • type of housing
  • place of residence
  • furniture under guarantee
  • number of occupants

Most insurance company websites offer a simulation to calculate the price of the insurance policy.

Useful info:
  • In the event of fire in your apartment, you have 5* business days to notify your insurance company.
  • In the event of theft or break in, you have 48 hours* from the time you notice the theft to:
    • file a police report at your local police station
    • send a claim form to your insurance company along with the original police report. (it's a good idea to keep a copy for your records)
  • In the event of water damage, we advise you to fill out a mutually-agreed accident report (“constat à l’amiable” form available from your insurance agent).
  • Renter's insurance does not cover damage in parking lots (e.g. damage to cars is covered by auto insurance).
  • Bicycles left in a bike rack aren't covered by your renter's insurance or the building's insurance.
*Insurance policies generally set these deadlines, but you should check your contract.